XAT is a pen and paper-based exam. The test is famous for its high difficulty level. XAT syllabus consists of English, Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Decision Making, General Awareness and Essay Writing. Here are some syllabus details, based from last year’s XAT paper pattern.
XAT 2016 was held on January 3, 2016, from 10 am to 1:30 pm. The total exam duration was 3 hours 30 minutes.
XLRI conducts the exam on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). XAT scores are used by more than 100 institutes for admission to MBA, PGDM and other management courses.
XLRI offers three two-year management programmes: Human Resource Management (HRM), Business Management Programme (BM), and Global MBA Programme.
Last year, XAT authorities announced quite a few significant test pattern changes on the official website:
- In the main question paper (Verbal and Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation sections), the total number of questions has been brought down to 78.
- Candidates will have 170 minutes to answer the main question paper, which means the time allotted has been increased by 20 minutes. Earlier, the total time for objective part of the test was 150 minutes. XAT 2016 syllabus
- Now comes the tricky part. In order to encourage students attempt more questions with accuracy, XAT 2016 question paper has been created in such a manner that that the top hundred students will be able to complete the test within 170 minutes. The idea behind this is to reduce the low range of scores and encourage good students to do well.
- In XAT 2016, aspirants have a choice of not attempting 13 questions. Beyond this, any non-attempted question will carry a negative mark of 0.05 marks per question.
- There’d also be negative marking of 0.25 marks for any wrong answer.
- Number of questions in GK section has been reduced to 25. However, the time to answer GK and Essay section remains same – 35 minutes.
- There’s no negative marking in GK section.